Insulation - New Home

Old 09-23-02, 12:25 PM
quantel62
Visiting Guest
Question Insulation - New Home

Hey there,

I'm building a new home in Northwestern Ontario. My home is by the lake and unfortunately faces due North. So as you can imagine it gets very cold in the winter.

In my basement, I'm putting R22 - 16 in my north facing walls and R28 - 23 on all the rest. I have a pwf basement with 3 walls being 2" x 8" and the other 2" x 6".

My question is, when I put my 6 mil vapour barrier up, do I use vapour caulking or red teck tape for the seams? Also, should I caulk every stud?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-02, 08:53 PM
You can go to http://www.ornl.gov/roofs%2bwalls/facts/index.html and read "Building Foundation Handbook". You don't have to use caulking, but you should tape the seams with a specifically designed tape for vapor barriers.

Old 09-27-02, 09:40 AM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Wecome to the wonderful word of fiber glass (FG) deception.

The vapor barrier(?) is there to prevent condensation in the FG from staining the walls. If moisture from the house does not get to the FG then the out side moisture will. By the way you're lucky if you get R 11 from those batts and the condensation moisture will degrade it even more. Oh yes, and then the mold.

I would recommend a 3 layer radiant barrier in the ceiling with a double 2 layer in the walls. No condensation, no mold and 95% eff vs about 10% for FG. I would also recommend that you use the ceramic insulating beads in the interior paint to cut down on the stud and ceiling joist conductivity.

You can also use a perforated RB sheet on the exterior walls for air infiltration control and additional insulation.

Koolcoat.com Fifoil.com

If you want additional info or samples let me know.

Thank you for considering my opinion.