Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage Insulation

Visiting Guest

09-30-02, 10:21 AM   #1  
Derwood
finishing my garage

Hello all,
I recently bought a beautiful little place in the country with a 22x24 detached, vinyl sided, fibreglass insulated/OSB boarded
garage with a 16 ft cedar door (no insulation)
The attic door was open when purchased and they obviously didn't finish the insulating. 3 questions...
I notice they don't have roof vents...I plan on running an electric heater off my 50amp box this winter and possibly going to wood next year. 2 vents be enough ? If so...what type?
I also noticed these braniacs insulated under the soffit...they have
plywood over it right now but befor putting the soffit on I guess I should remove the isulattion ??
One last question...do I have to buy anything other than bags of r20 for the attic ? I'd like to do a good job but I'm kinda on a budget that limits me.

I appreciate the help !
Darren

Sponsored Links

SC

10-06-02, 07:08 PM   #2  
Some say ridge vent, others like turbines, some gable end vents; tough choice. The sizes and number of vents are usually based upon the square footage of the attic, some combination of upper vents with soffit vents to make the total.

Talk to your insurance agent before using wood heat.

There is supposed to be free flow from the soffit vents into the attic space. I guess that you would have to remove the insulation within the soffits. It is not doing any good anyway.

After having addressed the issue of vapor barrier between the attic and lower space, I would put down as much insulation as I could afford. Some places recommend R39. You could always add to it later. I just never get around to re-doing a project. And make a insulating mat to cover the attic stairway door when closed.

Good luck.

Search this Thread