Mobile home insulation

Old 09-30-02, 11:09 AM
ErinGolden
Visiting Guest
Question Mobile home insulation

Please help. I am renting a mobile home vey cheaply. A disgusting smell is coming from underneath the house through the vents, plumbing holes, etc. Underneath the home there are holes in the skirt that feral cats have entered. We are on plain earth, no concrete. The insulation under the house looks like yellow cotton candy with black tarp plastic over it. It smells like mold and cat pee. It's got to go or I've got to move. I have three able bodied men but no understanding of the science of insulation. (Landlady is poor little old lady charging us peanuts). This area has decent ventilation because of the holes in the skirt but we will be closing those up. Evaporation from the ground may be a problem and leaking from the inside the house has obviously been a problem in the past. There is no way we can do a worse job than what is already there, but we have to do it fast and cheap, lasting at least 3 years so we can save up money to buy a house. Any suggestions whatsoever will help, so far the plan is to rip out the old stuffing and stuff up new stuffing.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-02, 05:18 AM
jmiddleton
Visiting Guest
I recently purchased an older mobile home that also had a mess underneath. You will need to clean out everything underneath the trailer and lay a vapor barrier on the ground. Purchase 6 mil poly - it is available in a 1000 sq. ft. roll that is large enough for most trailers. Tape the seams with red construction tape. Do your best to seal around the blocks and wheels but a few gaps won't cause much problem. The skirt needs to be ventilated during the summer but can be sealed over the winter months. I purchased crawl space vents (distributed by Mitten Vinyl here in Canada) with louvers that can be opened or closed.

For my crawl space I installed a new plywood skirt with a tyvek air barrier and 2 inches of styrofoam insulation. You probably don't want to consider an investment this large for a rented trailer but you might want to look at attaching reflectix (www.reflectixinc.com available at Home Depot) or levelwall (also available from Mitten) to the underside of the floor joists. If you plan to stay in the trailer for a few years you should get a reasonable return on the investment.

Also make sure you seal all the holes in the floor. A can of foam insulation will do the trick. Make sure you use a pair of disposable vinyl gloves - the stuff is awful if you get it on your skin.