Renter needs help with window insulation

Old 11-22-99, 02:56 PM
Visiting Guest
I am currently renting a house that was built in the 1950's. It still has single paned windows that probably haven't been caulked in years. I know this is going to make it very cold this winter and with only a gas wall heater I need to conserve as much energy as possible. Should I get those window insulation kits with the plastic? That means I can't open my windows right? As a renter I'm not sure how to handle the situation. But I'm the one paying the heating bills and shivering all winter right???? Also what is the best way to get the heat from a wall heater circulating through the house? I have a ceiling fan in the living room but thats it. Any advice would be great! Thanks so much. handle the situation. But I'm the one paying the heating bills and shivering all winter right???? Also what is the best way to get the heat from a wall heater circulating through the house? I have a ceiling fan in the living room but thats it.
Any advice would be great! Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-99, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
I would certainly check the caulking around the exterior. The plastic insulation film covers the whole window. You have to remove it to open the windows. The alternative are the rigid plastic insulation windows from Sears and other companies. They fit into the window frame and are reusable. These are expensive so you probably don't want them as a renter.

Old 11-22-99, 02:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Heather,
Can you get into your attic? You're probably wondering why I ask this. Before doing anything drastic to you windows, you might want to see how much insulation is up there, and, if it's square with your land lord, see if you can get any or more insulation installed up there. Just remember, whether you insulate with fiberglass or the ground up stuff, leave clearance for electrical wires and Junction boxes going to/from the cileing below. Use only UNFACED fiberglass(Home Deepo can clarify this for you) of atleast R22(insultating factor) up there, if you already have some down.

This will do a heckuva whole lot more for your heat that any window fix, although weatherstripping around your windows and doors won't hurt!

Good luck,

Chris

Old 12-07-99, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi Heather, well draughts can be annoying and make the house cold, as was mentioned first check your loft insulation but rather than go to the exspence of buying plastic film or secondry glazing why not try thermal curtains these are thick curtains with a thermal backing you can make these yourself to whatever pattern you want and just hang them as normal they cut heat loss and keep the draughts at bay, also you might try aluminium foil the type that you wrap around the sunday roastput this on a hard board backing, shiny side out then place the whole thing behind the heater and the wall this will stop heat loss through the wall behind the radiator and also reflect what heat was going into the wall back into the room..
I hope that this helps you a little, Handyman
[email protected]

Old 12-19-99, 02:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hello Heather:

You already have some good advice posted here. Therefore, maybe my two more cents worth isn't exactly going to help you much but I surely hope it helps some.

First thing is your not the owner here so spending as little as possible from your pocket makes sense.

Here are a few tips I hope can help:

Buy a small table top fan and place it near the wall heater on a chair but not to close to the heater to help circulate the heat.

Next trick is to cover those windows with heavy drapes.

Then lower the temperature at night to the lowest possible. <Maybe 65 or lower.> The reasoning here is why use so much heat when sleeping? Your not aware of it anyways.

If the thermostat has an automatic set back feature, use it. If not, follow the above method doing it manully.

This will lower the heating costs and you will also sleep better with more moisture in the air.

Buy another blanket and warmer daytime clothing. Turn the heater off during the days whenever no one is home.

All these little tricks help save more on heating costs.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:
Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocation:
Saw & Tool Sharpening.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
E-Mail:
[email protected]

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely.
The Life You Save
May Be Your Own."

Old 01-08-00, 11:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Heather, your situation sounds almost identical to mine. I, too, live in a place 40+ yrs old w/a wall heater (in the LR) where the one ceiling fan is located. And, I suffer from the cold coming in through the windows. My brass bed is in front of a 37" x 70" window & sooo cold. I measured the temp last winter & it was 62 at my headboard!

The suggestions I've read are excellent especially the drapes. Here's my input:

1) I've used the clear plastic that you fix to the frame & blow w/a hot hairdryer to make taut. It helped in a previous house, plus it's fairly clear.
2)Get this! A friend suggested what she had done in Colorado to a basement window: Put a solid panel of styrofoam inside the casement! That's what I have now in my BR window & it has helped tremendously!!! :-)
Of course, it means a darker room since I leave it in all the time. But, it, also, blocks outside noise. And, the room is warm!
3) Shut unused rooms to save the heat.
4) Finally, I use a small 8"x6" Holmes Ceramic area heater where needed at the time. It cost around $20 at Pic N Save.
5) Plus, a heating blanket is wonderful!

I hope all of this helps you. If you're like me, you hate being COLD!!!