Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulation of existing exterior walls

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-21-00, 12:57 PM   #1  
I am considering residing my house which is about 27 years old. I am fairly certain that the insulation is not adequate. I plan to wrap the outside with (tyvex?) before installing the siding. How best do I add to or reinsulate from the outside the exterior walls?

------------------
Randy

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-21-00, 06:51 PM   #2  
Not knowing what the current exterior surface is composed of or looks like, this is a moderately difficult question.

Could you describe the exterior surface for me?

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-21-00, 07:48 PM   #3  
Thanks for e-mailing me so quickly with the information. You said.

"The walls are currently sided with 1/2" X 12" lap siding. I wish to remove this and replace with a 4' X 8' sheat siding. I
will wrap the house with Tyvek before installing siding. The 2" X 4" walls currently have a very flimsy insulation batt.

Can I just add another batt to this to this or should the old insulation be removed and a new one installed."

To start with the batting - 2x4 walls can only hold so much insulation before the insulating loft is compressed. R-11 used to be the standard, but R-13 is very rapidly taking its place (at least here). The biggest problem I can see is that kraft (paper) face isulation is usually attached from the inside of the wall not the outside. However, since you choose to use a house wrap such as Tyvek you can do things a little differently.

If it is your decision to remove the old insulation, then replace with R-13. Attach it as best you can with staples to the inside of the studs, not the face. I would put the house wrap over the stud wall BEFORE sheathing. This will act as a better VBL (vapor barrier liner) than if placed outside the sheathing. It also allows you to see the chalklines you will snap when nailing off the sheathing.

The chalkline will also help locate the studs when applying your siding.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited March 21, 2000).]

Search this Thread