Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

remolding attic

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-04-00, 08:16 AM   #1  
I am currently remolding a 3rd story of a 100 year old house. I have gutted it down to the rafters and stud walls. After the electrician comes and I go to insulate do I need a vaper barrier and what do you suggest for one on the walls and ceiling. there is no attic/this is the attic. flat roofed house. also does the vaper barier go on the interier or twards the exterier?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-04-00, 05:34 PM   #2  
Before you seal off your 3rd story, make sure that you house has some breathing room. It has to breath somewhere. Most homes exhaust their heat through the attic. If you seal this with a VBL, you may produce an aftereffect that you will regret (moisture buildup).

As far as where the VBL should go - Dupont, the manufacturer of Tyvek designs the housewrap to go around the outside of the wall before the final covering.

I've seen people who install it between the studs and the sheathing, and between the studs and the sheetrock. Anywhere you put it will be better than having none at all.

Your call. You can use 6 or 7 mil plastic to do this.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Search this Thread