redoing inside walls

Old 03-21-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
1970 house and we are rewiring the house. Paneling through out the house. We have pulled alot of the paneling off of the walls to do this. We are going to sheetrock the walls. Question is do I go ahead and pull all paneling off the walls and put plastic on the inside or should I just put the paneling back on the walls before I sheetrock. Any suggestion will help! Thanks Rodney

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-00, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Several questions come to mind when I read your post. First, why are you rewiring your 1970 house? To get rid of aluminum wiring? If so, that's a good thing. But if you're replacing copper with copper, I would ask "why?". As far as the plastic, I would suggest you are wasting your time and money. Putting a vapor barrier on the inside of the studs won't accomplish a lot. You would be better served replacing the R-11 insulation with R-13 (I'M assuming your have 2X4 walls) kraft faced batts and letting it go at that. As far as putting the paneling back up... why?? Just screw the new sheetrock to the studs. Run the sheetrock horizontally, first sheet tight to the ceiling, then fill in the lower sheet. (Any cutting necessary for a height adjustment should be done on the bottom edge.) Also, use 12' aheets where possible to eliminate vertical joints, and stagger your vertical joints. Tape, texture and paint, and you're done with it.

Old 03-22-00, 03:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty is right. Throw the paneling out.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-22-00, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. The reason I am rewiring is because whoever wired it the first time used 12/3 wire to junction boxes. The 2 color wires they used for hot and the white wire for common. No ground on the outlets. I have been told ways to fix it without rewiring but I rather it be done right.
We have not taken all of the paneling off. Is there any reason I can not leave it on and sheetrock over it?
Again thanks for ya'lls replys

Old 04-05-00, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Lefty
Why don't you recommend a plastic vapor barrier? It is very cheap and easy to put up.
I am reinsulating my walls and installing plastic at the sametime. I know it is not continual but I thought it must help.

Old 04-06-00, 03:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Rodney;
You have a good question, but you have to realize that we are looking at the whole picture, and the future also. If you take the paneling off half your home, and install new kraft faced insulation, this is very good. Now, if you do not take the paneling off the other half, then you do not have the new insulation, and you will loose your insulating effect or what you have gained.
Yes, you can leave some of the paneling on if you want to. But, do not mix a wall. some on or some off, or you will have a bump in your sheetrock wall. It is your home, you can do what you want, but we as moderators, are telling you what us professionals recommend and suggest. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-06-00, 03:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Dash:
You just answered your own question. You said you know that your plastic is not continueous you are installing. That was the point. Unless plastic is continuous, is does no good. You want the plastic on the outside of your studs to protect the studs. In reality, when you only put the plastic between the studs, you are just wasting money. Fact of life. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor