insulation bats and foam board, no sheathing

Old 10-10-02, 10:26 AM
johnnygemstone
Visiting Guest
insulation bats and foam board, no sheathing

I am adding insulation to an old structure that has never been insulated. I live in a dry climate, high desert plataeu actually.
The building has an older vapor barrier nailed directly to the studs and then siding over the paper, directly on the studs,.... no sheathing. I had a couple insulation quotes, one with paper faced bats, the other unfaced bats with a visquene vapor retardent over that. It is a balloon framed gable roof. 16ft at the ridge beam and 12ft at the sides. 2x4 studs, 16oc. I have found that I can put R15 in the walls. What I would like to know is, should I install faced bats AND a visqueen barrier or is that overkill. Or should I install unfaced bats and then a visqueen barrier. What does the fact that there is no sheathing do to the problem? I am on a limited budget, but am very capable of most installations.
Also, I would like to maximize the insulation and looked into foam board insulation, half inch, over the faced or unfaced bats, and then drywall I guess. Is there a cheaper alternative that is fire proof or retardent that would allow me not to drywall the whole building. This is a large workshop, but I will be in it a lot and will be heating it will lp gas. I guess I am somewhat confused at the vapor barrier situation, and the no sheathing issue. The insulation quotes said the no sheathing isn't an issue.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-02, 11:49 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.eren.doe.gov/consumerinfo/refbriefs/bd4.html This is a Dept. of Energy site on vapor barriers. It discusses your concerns. From my own experience, vapor barrier should never be exposed when combustionable heating equipment is present.