Insulation under floor?

Old 08-27-00, 06:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Under my den floor is a small concrete room about 4 ft high and 8 ft wide. There is an access door from the outside of my house. In the winter cold radiates up through the floor. There is no insulation between the den floor and the room. Can someone give me the 3 or so basic steps to correct this? Thanks

Old 08-27-00, 06:43 AM
Visiting Guest
You can either insulate the floor of the den, or the walls of the conrete room. Material choices are extruded polystyrene which you can cut to fit in between the joists. A snug fit is important. This will also double as the vapour barrier. Friction fit batt insulation can be used. Before applying it line the underside of the floor with 6ml. poly as a vapour barrier. With the floor insulated the small room can be used as a cold storage root cellar. If you opt to insulate the walls with batt insulation the walls will have to be furred with 2x4s insulated & vapour barrier applied. The polystyrene can be glued to the concrete. The door should also be made as air tight as possible or there will be no use insulating the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: