Blow in Insulation and what kind is Non Flammable ?


Old 09-07-00, 04:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

ok i'm thinking of blow in insulation how. do i go about doing this and what type is non flammable. any advice is appreciated Don,
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-00, 04:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Morning Don. I don't know about the non-flammable part of your question. You can check the manufacture specs. Most anything has a flash point if it gets hot enough. It's more likely to be flame retardant than non flammmable. Are we talking attic insulation or walls ? If attic be sure you don't plug your eaves. You need to allow air to enter the space via the soffit and exit via tubines or ridge cap vents. Install a foam or wooden baffle between every second truss or rafter at its base. At the same time you have to stop the insulation from flowing out onto the soffit where you have not installed a baffle. Block these spaces with a piece of batt insulation or staple poly in place. Check with your local building department about required "R" values in your area. Bonne Chance.
Old 09-09-00, 05:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

this is going to be in the wall's the house is 105 years old. and in the attic the studs are still visible for the roof thank you for your help. and any other advice you can give me Don,
Old 09-09-00, 10:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

The machines you can rent will do a fair (but slow) job of blowing the insulation into the attic. But when it comes to blowing it into the walls, they all fail. Best bet would be to have a pro do all the blown-in insulation at one time. Pretty sure that you will find that the cost of having it done isn't that much more than doing it yourself. A pro will do it all in less than a day. It'll take you a week.
Old 09-10-00, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Do not even think about doing it yourself.
This is a bad job for a DIYer but an easy job for a pro. The cost is low, and they are quick and efficient. They will have a big truck, with a high pressure blower which is needed. I am not sure you could even rent a high pressure blower like the one needed. Good Luck
Old 12-18-04, 02:09 PM
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 82
This is not THAT hard of a job...

I just finished my house. Drilled holes every 16" between the studs then rented a blower from home depot...worked great!

Time consuming, yes, hard, no.

I just have to plug the holes now. Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-05, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Blown in insulation

Don't know what you mean about the price, it cost me $4,500 to have insulation blown in by a pro. Problem with patching the walls if you have plaster is getting the finish to match the rest of the wall. I have had a nightmare of a time because the "pro" didn't get all the outside walls. He blew in attic floor, down walls and used batts in the basement ceiling. His guys cut the R30 batts in half, (some places thirds) and I had to have him come back and replace it all. I only discovered that when a pipe froze. I think I could have done a lot more with $4,500 on my own. Might have taken more time (yes, they did do it in one day), but I think I would have been more thorough. In an old house you really need a pro who can figure out where the breaks are and make sure you fill all walls, however, I strongly suggest you be there and watch them work.
Old 01-29-05, 08:24 PM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Besides opening the wall, what is the easiest way to determine if there is insulation behind walls? I have a house originally built in 1967, and partially renovated in 2001. Two bedrooms are much colder than others (these may not have been renovated, I am unsure), and I'd like to look into blown insulation, but am not sure what is in there. Any help appreciated.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes