Insulating Cement Block House

Old 09-15-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
We have a one floor home of cement block covered with aluminum siding from 1952. The siding has a thin insulation backing. We want to reside with vinyl. Do we add foam board insulation with tyvek wrap? The foam board as I understand it gives just R1. Do we just tyvek wrap? Do we do nothing but add the new vinyl siding?

Old 09-17-00, 04:42 AM
Visiting Guest
The backing on the aluminum is more for regidity & prevention of denting the siding than insulating value. You did not mention your location or if there is any other form of insulation on the interior of the home. If there is, I see no need to insulate the exterior of the block. Since there already is a siding I assume strapping is in place to affix the vinyl. As for house wrap, Certainly put the tyvek around window & door openings & tape it to the frames to prevent air leakage. Air will not permiate the block walls but the tyvek will act as a weather barrier keeping rain water off the block. Apply the siding within 60 days as ulta violet rays break down the house wraps effectiveness.

Old 09-18-00, 06:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Allan..here's more. No insulation inside the house except for furred out plaster walls attached to the block. These have an air space between the block and the plaster. There is no perlite inside the blocks either, just normal blocks air space.
We are in NW Pennsylvania (snow Belt) right on Lake Erie.The house is approx. 1,000 sq ft living space with natural gas balanced billing of $70.00 per month.I'm wondering if the expense of insulating the blocks can be recouped by the savings we might get. It's really an investment issue. We are in our mid to late 50's and plan to retire in this house so resale is not an issue.

Old 09-18-00, 07:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Given your geographic location I think an investment in insulating your home would be a sound decision. Exterior insulation such as extruded poltstyrene will offer you approx. R5 per inch, moisture resistant and offers a low permeance of air diffusion. Doubling its thickness will increase the insulation value but will require a further expence to build up & flash around windows & doors. Fasteners for the siding will have to be long enough to reach the strapping.
You mention furred out plaster walls with an air space with no insulation behind the plaster. Question for you. How much space is there? If furred with 2x4s you could have insulation blown into the wall cavity to give you about R12.Other than an exterior weather barrier, no further exterior insualation needed. The job of insulating the walls I would leave to a pro with experience & the proper equipment. Hope this helps. Bonne Chance!

Old 09-19-00, 07:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Allan...just wanted to say thanks for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: