Question for a Pro.

Old 09-15-00, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My house is situated on a slope, so the entire underside crawlspace is exposed to the elements. The (fiberglass batting) insulation has been falling off, long a haven for field mice, birds, etc. Other than replace it again, is there a better material, method, finish? Does it make sense to cover the insulation with plywood ($!) or mesh material to keep the pests out? Why can't I find a contractor that has ever dealt with this kind of problem?
thanks,
LD

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
When you say the underside of the crawl space, are you referring to a foundation wall or the underside of the floor of the house? If it is the floor you are talking about,remove all existing insulation, apply a poly vapour barrier to the under side of the floor, install new batt insulation, then cover with 1/4" plywood or other material to keep the critters out. Extruded polystyrene is another insulating material you may use. Cut it to fit snuggly between the joists, again cover it or the mice will be at it. If these are concrete or block walls, apply poly against the wall to act as a moisture barrier, stud the walls with 2x4 @ 24" on centre, batt insulate, apply a 6ml. poly vapour barrier, drywall is optional. Check your local building department for required insulation values for either application.

Old 09-15-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I forgot to mention the need to ventilate the crawl space if it is an enclosed area. You need ventillation equall to about one square foot of for every 300 square feet of floor area.

Old 09-16-00, 02:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Bud: The answer to your question is yes. Replace any missing insulation, and I would probably put in screen.Stretch the screen tightly and tack in place using lathe. This is a fairly commom occurance so don't feel lonly.

Old 09-18-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

thanks for your advice!
LD