Vapor barrier faces up! Remove?

Old 09-22-00, 08:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Small Michigan area ranch house w/ sheet rock ceiling, has ONLY 3.5" unfaced fiberglass roll insulation (about R-8?) in attic (old and crumbly), UNDERNEATH a later-added tarry-paper vapor barrier (crumbly, too). Yes, the barrier is ABOVE the fiberglass, pretty well punctured, portions missing.

To add insulation, should I just lay new R-30 fiberglass (vapor barrier down) atop existing -- OR remove old barrier and fiberglass and start over again the right way, or some combination (like remove old over kitchen & bath, and just add new atop everywhere else)?

PS: There's no eave overhang available for soffit vents, but have 800 s.i.'s of roof + gable vent. Thus, can I also install insulation into the corners where attic floor meets roof? Incidently, I plan to install a small gable fan next spring and add more roof intake vents if needed.

Help me before I waste my money, develop lung cancer, or both!

Old 09-22-00, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Unless you would enjoy crawling on hands & knees in the dust of your attic I would suggest you have a layer of insulation blown in. A vapour barrier is meant to be on the warm side of the insulation, in the case of an attic, below it. You can leave the existing insulation, apply a poly vapour barrier over it and blow in enough insulation so there is 1/3rd insulation under & 2/3rds insulation on top of the barrier. Or you can blow in the insul., and paint your ceiling with three coats of an oil based paint. This will act as a vapour diffusion retarder. Ventillation should be approx 1 sq. inch vent port for every 300 sq. ft. of area. This can be achieved with your gable vents & ridge or turbine vents.

Old 09-22-00, 03:47 PM
Visiting Guest
The code for your attic and ceiling insulation is R-38. So there is no use in you(yourself) trying to add insulation. Pick up the phone, call the insulation man and he will pump it in. Quick, easy, simple, and best of all, low cost.
Do not worry about what is there already.
Next summer install a 10 or 12" blower vent in the end of your house. It will ventilate 1300 cu. ft per minute. Hook to a thermostat
set thermostat at 95 degrees and your all set. Have a warm winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: