exterior wall insulation

Old 09-23-00, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
We have a timberframe house approx 100 years old with no exterior wall insulation.the siding is yellow pine in good condition with ugly asbestos nail atop. I would like to overlay the outside of the exterior walls with a thick layer of closed cell foam material and then install new (wood) siding.My questions are as follows:-
What type of insulation would be appropriate?
Where do I place the vapour barrier?
Do I need to insulate the vertical firring strips from the asbestos siding?
Is there a product with a hard face to which the new wood siding could be fastened directly, doing away with the need for firring strips?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-00, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I know what you want to do, but your just not quite on the right track. these are the steps. Do one side at a time. Cover the exterior tyvak. Just stapel it to your existing siding. Then nail on 1/4" fan fold insulation, using 1 1/2" shingle nails, then put on your new siding. The fan fold will make you old siding level so your new siding will look good. Now, you cannot add insulation to your outside of your house. But if your walls need insulation, then have insulation blown into your walls from the outside before you start your siding project.
Good Luck