Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulate Attic Fan

Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 07:34 AM   #1  
mloman
Insulate Attic Fan

I bought a new house that has an attic exhaust fan. I suspect it will be a major source of cold air in the winter. Is there any way I can insulate the attic fan? I guess I'm looking for a cover that will fit over the louver (on my celiing), or a cover that will envelope the fan in the attic. Does either such product exist? My local Lowe's and Home Depot had no help for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 08:35 AM   #2  
gubs18
pretty easy to DIY...

can do it from inside or outside attic - inside attic probably will look better.

build a light-weight box out of paneling or 1/4" plywood, covering the entire fan & parameter (you can even use a hvy cardbrd box as long it fits). then glue rigid form board to the either the outside or inside of the box, SHINNY FOIL SIDE TO THE INSIDE(living area) OF HSE. You may get better results by creating an air space (1/4" to 1/2") between box & rigid brd (maybe someone else can answer this!!!).

if going inside of box, give yourslef enough clearance. rigid brd comes in 1/2", 1" or 2" widths. 2" is little harder to work with, but probably worthwhile. can buy 2", 4x8' sheet for about $18, at Home depot or lumber yard (look for damaged pc & ask for discount). only need sharp knife to cut. littel messy if using 2"; i took my measurments & cut the foam inside Home D (my mess blended in with their mess, plus easier to fit inside car).

fairly easy project!

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 07:28 AM   #3  
mloman
Good idea, I think I'll do that.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 10:53 AM   #4  
gubs18
one more thought...

I've also read how a guy made the same thing by hot melting the rigid form pcs to each other (i.e. no wooden box at all). he just duct taped over all the seams for added support.

it would simplify the project & make it very light; could add small premade 90degree braces here & there for extra support.

if you can, let us know how you made out.

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 09:57 AM   #5  
mloman
I just wanted to let everyone know how this project turned out. I built the box out of rigid foam board, and covered the whole-house fan in the attic. I used duct tape on the seams to create an air tight fit. I did this last winter and it worked out great.

Advantages: I felt absolutely no cold air leaking into my house from the attic.

Disadvantages: I have to climb into my attic twice a year. In the fall I go in to put on the cover, in the spring I take it off. Also, when the cover is on (in the winter) I had to place a piece of tape over the switch, so that nobody would turn the fan on.

Search this Thread