vapor barrier

Old 09-30-00, 06:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have just purchased a home approx. 50 years old. The basement is unfinished and we are looking to finish. It is poured concrete walls. My question is does the vapor barrier go on the inside house part of the insulation or the outside part? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-00, 03:08 AM
Visiting Guest
You put in on the inside of your basement walls against the concrete. Use duct tape to hold it in place

Old 10-01-00, 07:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank you, Jack.

Old 10-02-00, 06:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Maggy. The poly barrier you are placing against the concrete wall is a "MOISTURE" barrier. It should be applied to the concrete wall from the above grade level to the floor with enough length to sit under the bottom plate of the wall. Its purpose is to prevent moisture from entering the wall cavity by diffusion through the concrete from exterior soil pressure and isolate the lumber from contacting the concrete. Insulate, then apply a "VAPOUR" barrier, which prevents warm moist air from entering the cavity from the interior, cooling & then condensing.

Old 10-08-00, 07:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack& Allen,both say to put the vapor barrier against the concrete. Yet all the local builders & contracters I talk to say that the barrier allways-allways-allways goes on the warm side of the wall (inside). HELP!! Who's right??

Old 10-09-00, 10:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Maggy, Reread my message. I am referring to two different items. A MOISTURE barrier against the concrete, and a VAPOUR barrier which does go on the warm side of the insulation.

Old 10-10-00, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Maggy: You are not reading my message. I said put the vapor barrier on the inside of your basement. That is the warm side. Any contractor who is worth his salt will tell you the same thing. Read about me under moderators. I guarantee I and Allen are telling you correct.

Old 10-10-00, 08:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

We've got it know- moiture against concrete-vapor on inside. Thanks guys, you've been a big help.