Insulation

Old 10-17-00, 04:22 PM
Visiting Guest
We are building a new home in a cold climate. What material is best for insulating (fiberglass vs cellulose) and which is the best method (Loose-Fill or Spray-applied) If it were your home what would you do.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
The "R" value of fiberglass and cellulose are about the same at equal thicknesses. WHERE you are insulating will be the biggest determining factor, along with the cost and effort of getting it there. If it were my house, the ceiling would get cellulose blown in by a pro and the floors, I would install fiberglass batts myself. As far as the walls, I would compare the price of installing fiberglass myself as opposed to having the pro blow in the cellulose, but would lean towards having them blown. It may cost a bit more, but the noise attenuation would be well worth it.

Old 10-19-00, 03:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty is right.

Old 10-21-00, 09:06 PM
Visiting Guest
first of all R-value is not the end-all of choosing an insulation.cellulose is a better choice for a number of reasons; it's fire-retardency is better, it is much more efficient at filling gaps and stoppig air infiltration, and it is a natural,recycled product.I would have it sprayed on the wall cavities and dry-blown in the ceiling. even though I do this for a living you don't have to take my word. do a web search for "insulation" or "cellulose" and read the facts. you won't be sorry. be advised:it will cost more than glass, but it's worth it.