Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attic Insulation & Ventilation

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-30-00, 05:32 AM   #1  
Good Day Everyone!
After reading a bunch of previous posts, I believe I am going to have blown-in insulation done in my attic, rather than doing the fiberglass job myself. I have two questions:
1. Is it worthwhile to put in additional insulation between the roof joists in addition to the insulation blown-in on the floor of the atttic?
2. Is an attic fan used only in the summer, or does it serve a purpose in the winter also?

Thanks for your input.
Chris

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-30-00, 11:03 PM   #2  
Hanemen3, I personally don't think the insulation between the rafters would be cost effective. Secondly, an attic fan is used to exhaust the hot air from the attic. This is something that only needs to be done in the summer. To do it in the winter would be counter-productive. It would overcool the atic and actually RAISE your heating costs.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-01-00, 01:12 PM   #3  
Gentlemen. If the purpose of the attic fan is to get rid of warm moist air, will it mot bring in hot/humid air exterior air? And will it not also suck conditioned air from the rooms below through the leaks in the ceiling? Gene Leger

Search this Thread