Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Family room remains cold

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 02:48 AM   #1  
I hope I have the correct area. We have moved into a house that has a family room off of the kitchen. The family room's floor is solid cement. There is a wood stove out there for heat. The walls are insulated and there are new windows installed. My question is - is the room always so cool because of the cement floor (there is no crawl space underneath) And what could we do to make it warmer. There is tile and short haired carpeting on the floor. It just seems that as soon as you leave the kitchen you are hit with a cool air breeze from the family room. Oh - there is also zoned heating out there too. Thanks in advance. And again, I hope this is the correct area for posting. Judie

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 07:51 PM   #2  
Cement floors are cold even when the air is heated.
Look into hydronic heat. lay cross=linked tubing on the existing cement floor and cover with 1 1/2 " of cement. hook tubing to a loop off the water heater with a circ. pump and stat. It'll do wonders and not that expensive. Get educated and shop around. Look up wirsbo on the internet. that's a company that makes the tube.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 08:23 PM   #3  
Judie, there are many things that could be making this a problem area for you, and chances are it is some combination of several things. It sounds like this room may have been added on at some point in the past. If so, you need to check it out as carefully and thoroughly as possible. Does it have the proper amount of insulation in the attic for your area? You mentioned it has zoned heating. Are there enough ducts of the proper size supplying the room? You might have a heating and air contractor evaluate that for you. Rooms on a slab with tile floors will usually feel cooler than the rest of the house, especially if the rest of the house is carpeted. If, indeed the room was added, did the person who built it put a Tyvek or similar wrap on it before the siding was installed? And how large, and how many, windows does this room have? How good are the windows? These are some of the areas I would suggest that you check out first.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 08:35 PM   #4  
The family room is off the kitchen, right? Is the entry to the family room a narrow doorway, ie: 34" or a much wider opening? Question # 2. What type of heating is in the rest of the house, ie; forced air, baseboard electric? An uninsulated concrete slab floor with tile, or carpet can rob a lot of heat from a room. Another reason could be no air movement. Each room in a house should have a heat source, such as a hot air diffuser to deliver the warm air and a cold air return to return the cooled air to the furnace for re- heating. Without extracting air from the room via the cold air return located at floor level, warm air rises & remains at the ceiling, leaving you cool & uncomfortable. Obviously with a slab floor there is no duct work in this room for a cold air return. Install a ceiling fan to circulate the air within the room.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-10-00, 09:39 PM   #5  
Your statment about being hit with a cool breeze bothers me.Look for sources of air infiltration.
It may help to get a circulator for your stove to distribute the heat and recognize it's real potential.
I think the previous answers were great too!
Good Luck!

Search this Thread