Cold Rooms Above Garage!

Old 11-06-00, 10:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have two rooms directly above the garage. Both rooms are VERY cold and the floors. How
do we check if there is proper insulation between the garage and the rooms. If the insulation is lacking, how do we put insulation into the floors?
(We just purchased this home (4 months ago) which is 18 years old)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-00, 05:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Charlie
As an insulation contractor I've handled this problem many times and it's pretty straight-forward. First you must drill a hole in the garage ceiling to check for insulation.It doesn't have to be too big and can be repaired after. If no insulation is found,cellulose can be blown in through the ceiling and the holes repaired.The way I usually do it is to remove a piece of siding at the level of the floor/ceiling (end of the joist)and drill through the joist box(the band that goes around the frame)then cellulose can be blown in using a 10' piece of PVC pipe.Put the siding back and it looks like I was never there but the room is warm.
Good Luck!

Old 11-10-00, 06:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

ritchit,
thanks for your reply.

Our outside of the home is made of succo. Is this more difficult to add the insulation to the floors above the garage?

Old 11-14-00, 03:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem! i have insulation in the ceiling of the garage, but have about 3 inches of space between the insulation & sheetrock; 1) can i still have enough insulation blown in to make a difference? 2) Outside of the house is asbestos/cement shingles; is that a problem in using your method?

BTW: i also installed a very dense WTW carpet & pad & it really helped. But i am looking to do more. Appreciate your help.