heating problems

Old 11-21-00, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hi;
Just bought a two level home-bedrooms on second floor and living and dining on first. Heating is electric and furnace is on second floor -so also the thermostat. When I turn on the heat, the second floor gets very hot and first floor stays cold. I am terrible at home repair-never done any. What can I do to stay warm. I have a one year old-so pl. help!!!!

Old 11-21-00, 07:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Call your local HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning) retailer. He can assess the remidies available.

Old 11-21-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:achalla

The thermostat is incorrectly located. It should be in the lower level.

This will help but not cure the problem. Two story homes all have this problem. The upper levels are always warmer because heat raises.

In the summer, if you have A/C, the lower levels will be much colder because cold air settles.

Not much will help while heatting but you could try closing the bedroom doors while your downstairs.

Check the archives, in this forum, for other postings with this same problem for more information and possible solutions.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.

Old 11-22-00, 03:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Tom is correct, relocate your themostat.

Old 12-26-00, 11:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Another thing to check:

How is weather stripping around your door(s) to the outside? Also, installing adhesive "sweeps" to the bottoms of the door can help.

Are windows of high tech? Double Pane? Weather stripping in decent shape? Or are they older single pane with storms over the outside?

Just a few tips to cut down on the number of air exchanges per hour in there.

-Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: