Attic insulation over blown in

Old 10-21-02, 11:44 AM
robd
Visiting Guest
Attic insulation over blown in

I currently have blown in insulation in my early 60's ranch with truss roof. Needless to say, I don't think it's working very well. Very drafty in winter. In the summer, the house really heats up around 6pm until about 11pm. I want to add insulation to fix this. It seems the best thing is installing bats. My question is should I install the bats over the blown in insulation, or do I need to remove the blown in insulation and put down the bats on top of the drywall ceiling below??

Thanks for any suggestions, Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 07:29 PM
Adding additional insulation to the attic alone isn't going to solve your situation.
The drafts you are experiencing won't be cured by added insulation. You need to look at how air tight the house is. Drafts are due to improper sealing around windows & doors, open fire place flues, electrical outlets on exterior walls, and negative air pressure in the house. Do you have a lot of windows on the west side of the house that direct rays from the setting sun would be causing the warming of the house? At 6pm to 11 it should be starting to cool down. Get some good window covering if this is the case. Check to see if the soffits have not been blocked by the loose fill insulation & are allowing air into the attic space, and the gable or ridge vents are ok. If you still want added insulation in the attic, check with the building dept. on how much is enough. There is no great energy savings on excessive insulation.Then hire a company to blow in the additional insul on top of the existing. Adding batt insulation yourself will soon be obvious why you should have hired someone.