Foor insulation question

Old 10-28-02, 06:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foor insulation question

Our 1920's era house has a full, unfinished basement. I would lke to install insulation under the first floor. A couple of years ago I started to put fiberglass batts between the joists held in place with stiff wire, but it collects dust and makes a nice place for mice to nest (we live at the edge of a field). We don't want to install a finished ceiling for various reasons, but I would like something a little neater as I use the basement as a workshop in the winter.

I'm leaning toward using styrofoam boards between the joists, and I'd like to get some feedback as to what thickness I should use and whether or not this is cost effective.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-02, 07:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Instead of insulating the floor I would fur & insulate the foundation walls. This will keep the basement warmer & dryer in the winter months. creating a better enviornment for your work shop. The water lines in the basement won't freeze, hot water tank works more efficiently, and the house floor will be warmer. Access to any mechanicals in the floor will be more accessable.

Old 10-31-02, 04:34 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not sure what code you're under, but UBC does not allow styrofoam to be left exposed. It needs to be covered with a "thermal barrier"; sheetrock is most commonly used, but the building inspector may have other materials that he would accept. The reason for the thermal barrier is a good one: when polystyrene burns, it produces toxic gasses that can kill you or firemen.

Bruce