door insulation question-cigarette smoke problem

Old 11-01-02, 03:29 PM
nyzgrrl
Visiting Guest
door insulation question-cigarette smoke problem

Hi-

we are, unfortunately, smokers...for now. We've recently moved into a small apt. building and the upstairs neighbors are complaining of some cigarette smoke seepage-it appears to go under our front door..and up a flight of stairs to their apt...they are very sensitive to the smoke. We want to be considerate (we're smoking outside instead)..but does anyone have a tip on how to insulate our door so smoke doesnt seep out? This is an old building from 1940.
Yes, we will quit, but for now we are weak and addicted..so any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-02, 03:17 AM
I would try adding a sweep strip to the bottom of the door. Basically, it a piece of flexible weatherstripping that attaches to the bottom of the door and seals against the threshold; if you don't have a threshold, it becomes a bit of a challenge.

Are the upstairs neighbors directly above you? If so, it could also be that there are penetrations for piping, electrical, etc. between the two apartments that are letting smoke get upstairs. I had that situation in one of my duplexes several years ago and got rid of most of the problem by sealing penetrations using caulking and canned foam.

I assume you are renting? If so, you should talk to the landlord before starting any work. The leases I have with my tenants prohibit them from doing any work without my permision.

Bruce

Old 11-03-02, 04:37 PM
nyzgrrl
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your ideas. The landlady is pretty easygoing about general work, and will certainly appreciate not getting another complaint from the neighbors, so we will proceed (being that we have a threshold). And yes, they are directly above us, so we will work on that idea as well.
Thanks again. Much appreciated!