Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating Attic

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 10:03 AM   #1  
Karl65
Insulating Attic

My wife and I recently purchased and 82 year old home in Buffalo, NY. We would like to blow cellulose in between the attic floor and 2nd floor ceiling. The prior owners replaced the roof including the the layment panels beneath the tiles about three years ago (water damage). There are areas of light penetration where the edge of the roof and the edge of the house meet. I am concerned that if I blow insulation in now I may have future problems with moisture incursion into the insulation. Do I need worry about this? Is there any simple, effective, inexpensive way
to stop up the gaps?

Also the prior owners did not vent the roof with either soffits or a ridge vent. The attic is 2200 sq ft. We would like to finsh off the attic in the future. Which would you suggest be used? What are their costs and benefits?

Thank You

Sponsored Links

MO

11-03-02, 11:26 AM   #2  
attic

Id get some vents up there now. That could be where the water came from to start.You see in the winter the warm air from the home goes up there and will freeze on the under side of the roof.Then if you get a warm day it melts and falls back down on the ceiling below.To rework the attic . How deep are the rafters for the roof here? Could you put insulation in them and still have an air space from it to the roof. You need this for air to get inYou have a lot of IF IF?? here ED

Search this Thread