Insulating floor over crawlspace

Old 11-04-02, 08:34 AM
brewhill
Visiting Guest
Insulating floor over crawlspace

I've read a few posts that are close to my mine but I want to ensure that I insulate properly.

I had an extension put onto my house and it was built over a concrete slab. My kitchen which is in the extension is freezing in the winter.

I was planning to insulate the floor over the crawlspace, the water pipes and possibly the ductwork in the crawlspace. Is there anything else that I should consider doing to keep the rooms about the crawlspace warmer?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 04:45 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat is what causes moisture problems in structures, especially in crawl spaces. Heat comes from the house in the winter into the crawl space. By insulating the floor, ductwork and pipes, you reduce the amount of heat introduced to the crawl space and therefore reduce the possibility for a moisture problem. Vapor barrier on insulation reduce the percentage of humidity in heat flowing through insulation. Thereby reducing the probability of the heat condensing inside the insulation. Since the heat flow will come from the kitchen floor in the winter, the vapor barrier should go between the insulation and the kitchen floor.

With all else being equal, yes, this should make your kitchen floor more comfortable during the winter.