Attic Fan

Old 11-06-02, 08:14 PM
marwinny
Visiting Guest
Attic Fan

How can I determine if I need another attic fan? I just believe it is too hot in my attic in the summers and the fans are running constantly.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-02, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Attic fans

Normally they use more power than they save.
What is the tempature in your attic on a summer day ??

Old 11-23-02, 07:18 AM
sequoia_s
Visiting Guest
Passive Vents

First, you'll want to make sure that the passive ventilation in your attic is working properly ... i.e., the eave vents are not blocked, the gable end vents are not blocked ... usually a matter of brusing or vaccuming the screens ... i had to remove several birds nests from our eave vents (in So. Calif.). i have also found that the "turbine" type passive vents do help (i have 3 of them in an approx. 2000 s.f. single-story, multi-gabled house, no attic insulation (yet), lots of eave vents).

All said though, the vents help only when the temp. outside is at least moderate. When the heat here gets much over 90-deg., the A/C goes on.

You might also check into "whole house" fans ... check out:

http://www.rewci.com/wholehousefans.html

seems to make sense, but i have no direct experience with it.

- Sequoia

Old 11-23-02, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Turbines

Ditto the turbine idea, they work great on my house also

Old 11-23-02, 09:38 AM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

The purpose of attic ventilation is to remove the moisture that can ruin the sheathing not cool the attic.

The reason the attic is so hot and you a/c bills so high is because you have a low performance insulation up there, probably fiberglass. This material absorbs over 90% of the heat radiated from the sheathing and that is what is heating up the attic. Since FG is a bout 98% airespaces the heat energy radiates right thru to the ceiling and then into the house.

If you can, see about installing a ridge and soffitt, vent cor-a-vent.com .

You might also want to consider installing a radiant barrier over the existing insulation. A RB will reflect about 95% of the heat energy, keeping it out of the house. You could save up to 30% on a/c and the house will be much more comfortable.

If you want more info, let me know.

Thank you for considering my opinion.