Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ridge ventilation

Visiting Guest

11-08-02, 05:43 PM   #1  
moe707
Ridge ventilation

I had new shingles put on couple of years ago. I asked for ridge venting since I only have two gable vents. I do not have soffit vents. The contractor put in ridge vents along the peak of the roof.
1) Is my attic ventilation adequate? Attic about 1500 sq.ft.
2) How can I tell if the Ridge vents are doing their job and functioning properly?
3) The soffits are wood and I do not know if I should cut into them to provide soffit vents. How many and the size needed if I have to peovide soffit ventilation?

Thanks
Moe

Sponsored Links

11-08-02, 06:06 PM   #2  
Ridge vent

If you can see light though it, it is working.
Make sure it hasn't been plugged up with dirt and dust over time.
Put a hydromemter in the attic and check humidity levels, this will tell you if venting is correct.

11-15-02, 05:43 PM   #3  
the ridge vent will not work without soffet vents, once you cut the soffet block up the gable vents. Do not allow any blockage of air through the soffet, no insulation, no nothing blocking the soffet.

Visiting Guest

11-23-02, 09:25 AM   #4  
rbisys
Greetings,

Brownbag is right on.

For maximun efficiency and to prevent air flowing over the insuation install 2x4 or 2x6 or ? to the top plate that leaves 3/4" to 1" max between the sheathing and the top of the block.

Have you considered installing a radiant barrier over the existing insulation to cut your a/c costs up to 30% ?

Search this Thread