Rookie question about attic insulation

Old 11-16-02, 01:20 PM
Rookie question about attic insulation

Hi,

We just bought a 50 year old small ranch & peaked up into the attic. besides being extremely dirty, I see some insulation in between rafters on the floor of the attic, but nothing on the roof side. I'm pretty new at construction, but I do know I have vented soffits. The insulation seems to be a few inches thick & missing in a few areas. I know there's squirrels as well, first thing I'm going to do is get rid of them (trap) & try to plug entry areas.

As background, there is currently no central air, but we'll add that in a year or so.

Questions:
1. How much insulation is necessary? We live in Maryland where the winter temp. seems to average around 20 degrees, but can dip down to 0 occassionally. Hot & humid summers are the norm - 90-100 degrees.

2. Is coverage between flooring rafters all that is needed? How about on the ceiling side?

3. Any concerns with soffits?

4. Any other comments?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-02, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Owens-Corning has excellent info on their web site www.owenscorning.com. All kinds of tips and information including R-value recommendations, installation, etc.

You won't need insulation on under the roof unless you are going to use the space, otherwise the temp of the air space in the attic is not a factor provided you have sufficient insulation on the attic "floor". In addition to your soffit vents, do you also have vents either in gable ends of the house or at the roof ridge? If not, it would be a good idea to add in order to have proper ventilation in the attic.

Old 11-17-02, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the reply - yes, I have vents on each end of teh house (gable?). I'll check out the O-C website, great idea.

Search this Thread