Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Furring Strips/Paneling/Insulation

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 10:51 AM   #1  
tracey529
Furring Strips/Paneling/Insulation

I am in the process of redoing a room in my basement. Two outside walls and two inside walls. The room flooded 3 years ago. The water problem has been fixed and now I want to remodel. I tore out all paneling except for the underlayer of the two inner walls. Two outer walls were paneling, directly nailed to furring strips over clay walls...no insulation. So far, I added 1x2 furring strips with tapcons and glue to the outside walls...then added foam insulation board and covered with a 6 mil vapor barrier. Questions: Do I have to under panel the outside walls before putting new finished paneling up? Or can I panel right over the vapor barrier into the furring strips? I'm concerned that the paneling would warp. Also, what size paneling (1/2 inch?) would you use? Thanks for any advice....

Sponsored Links

OH

11-18-02, 10:12 PM   #2  
Paneling basement walls

Not sure what you mean by underpaneling. Typically, paneling is installed over the vapor barrier and nails driven into firring strips. You might want to mark where the strips are located, so you will know. Type and thickness of paneling selected is a matter of personal choice.

Visiting Guest

11-19-02, 04:49 AM   #3  
tracey529
Thanks for the help. The previous owners put up cheap thin paneling, then nailed decent paneling over it. That is what I mean by underpaneling. I didn't know how to explain it. I wasn't sure if 2 layers of paneling are necessary.

OH

11-19-02, 03:37 PM   #4  
Two layers of paneling

Two layers of paneling are not necessary. I guess it is like those folks who keep adding new layers of wallpaper over old.

Question: When you tore out the flooded walls, did you find any mold/mildew? Did you disinfect with bleach/water solution?

My mountain cabin sits on a river bank. It flooded in 1985. It also has "cheap" paneling. Yes, I have flood insurance. I do not look forward to a flood because it would be devastating. Sometimes, however, I think that when it does flood, then I will be able to rip out the cheap paneling, gut the inside and get rid of those cheap dropped ceiling tiles, etc., and make my mark on the place. Just dreaming! Floods are a terrible ordeal. I'd rather live with cheap paneling than clean up after a flood.

Visiting Guest

11-23-02, 07:37 AM   #5  
rbisys
Greetings,

You are probably going to get mold with the foam. Also, the foam is marginal in insulating effectiveness, about 20%.

If you install a 95% radiant barrier insulation(4 mil sheet) you can get two reflective air spaces, vapor barrier, no condensation or mold. I just finished my basement using this method.

If you want more info, let me know.

Thank you fopr considering my opinion.

Search this Thread