Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

adding attic insulation

Visiting Guest

11-20-02, 09:27 PM   #1  
jackelope
adding attic insulation

Hello,
I need to add insulation in my attic, My question is what kind. there is allready 3.5 inches of fiberglass insulation with the paper facing up. Can i just add insulation on top of that or would that cause a problem having the facing between two layers of insluation
Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links

11-21-02, 08:58 AM   #2  
The original insulation facing should be facing down - towards the heated area. If that's not the case, you should try reversing each batt.

You can easily add another 6" of insulation on top of the 3 1/2". Most stores sell 6" unfaced batts that are easy to lay in place.

OH

11-21-02, 11:17 PM   #3  
Attic insulation

Vapor barrier on insulation should be turned toward heated space. For fiber glass insulation info go to www.owenscorning.com.

Visiting Guest

11-23-02, 07:31 AM   #4  
rbisys
Greetings,

The paper IS NOT a vapor barrier. All it does is deteriorate and attract bugs. Also, the pitch used to attach the paper to the FG is an accelerant. If paper is a vapor barrier then why install plastic on the walls?

Adding FG to FG is a waste of money. See my remarks on the cellulose insulation thread.

Search this Thread