Keeping Ceiling Insulation in Place

Old 11-26-02, 03:07 PM
awill
Visiting Guest

The ceiling in my basement has unfaced fiberglass insulation stuffed and stapled between the overhead joists, mainly for sound control and, to a lesser extent, to insulate the floor above from cold in the unheated basement below.

I am concerned about stray bits of insulation or fibers being dislodged from or sifting down from the ceiling and becoming a health hazard for family members using the unfinished basement space.

Does anyone know of a containmemt product or system that would keep the fiberglass in place? I would strongly prefer not to build a solid ceiling -- I am thinking of something like a gauze-like screening or netting that could be stapled to the joists.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-02, 04:21 PM
It seems that to be certain that nothing falls from above would necessitate the use of a solid surface to keep the fiberglass contained. Maybe the cheapest solution along this line would be sheet plastic stapled in place. Except that it may interfere with any existing vapor barrier in the floor between the basement and the room above.

Old 12-03-02, 09:12 AM
Entropy
Visiting Guest
I have this same concern about basement insulation. I used all the proper masks and goggles for installation, but now I'm wondering about stray fibers floating around while I'm working down there.

I know this sounds weird, but do you think it's possible to spray the insulation with hairspray? This would "set" the loose fibers and somewhat contain them.

Stapling plastic up is a last resort buit it may come to that. I hate the thought of it just dangling above me while down there. Especially with kids jumping around upstairs above me!

Thanks,

Old 12-03-02, 04:57 PM
awill
Visiting Guest

It seems to me that hair spray would be both expensive and likely ineffectual. As I indicated in an earlier post, I am concerned that a plastic film solution might trap moisture where it could potentially be harmful. I am still thinking in terms of a fine mesh or screening that could be stapled or otherwise fastned overhead, allowing the area to "breathe" but catching loose pieces of insulation. However, nobody so far has suggested what sort of such material ight be suitable.

Old 12-04-02, 01:15 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
How about all the cardboard from the boxes that is year's holiday presents come in?