Insulating ceiling for sound control

Old 11-26-02, 11:20 PM
casazza
Visiting Guest
Insulating ceiling for sound control

After searching the forum, I read that an increase in R value does not increase the STC (sound transmission class) ratings. I have 2x10 joists, what would be the correct value to use. I was originally planning on R25 but should I use a R-19 or possibly R13 for sound control.

I am using a suspended ceiling that mounts to the joists, so the ceiling drops only 1-1/4". I know drywall with resilent channels is much better for sound control, but I would like to keep the access to the wiring. So this leaves me with two more questions:

1) Will the insulation help control the sound from the upper floor using a suspended ceiling or would I be wasting money?

2) In addition to insulation, what could be done to help control the sound when using suspended ceilings?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-02, 04:16 PM
One thing that helps with the transmission of sound is to control the continuity of the connecting surfaces. The reason that wall insulation does not stop sound transmission from room to room is that the studs in the wall transmit the sound. Sound proofing in walls is ofter accomplished by using 6" thick wall construction with a different set of 4" studs for each room. These are offset so that no stud is in contact with the wall board in both rooms. Therefore, using a suspended ceiling should help more than simply insulating the space above the existing ceiling.