insulating ceiling of finished basement

Old 12-01-02, 02:33 PM
tallchick
Visiting Guest
insulating ceiling of finished basement

Do I need to insulate the ceiling of my newly finished basement? It will be heated and I plan to install a dropped ceiling. Part of the basement was finished by the previous owner and they put in R-11 or R-13 insulation. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-02, 05:30 AM
wishiknew
Visiting Guest
Since heat rises you may want to insulate so the heat from the basement doesn't make the house warmer that you would like. Also this reflective material mentioned in the next paragraph should keep the basement heat in the basement where you want it.

There are long rolls of material 16" wide and 24" wide that are made out of that shiny stuff used to make sun shields for cars. It's available at Lowe's and Home Depot and easy to install with a staple gun.

Sorry I can't think of the brand name but we used it when we installed radiant heat under the hardwood floors. Just a suggestion that might just do the trick since it's not an outside wall.

This is one of those things, I think, that only you can decide. Might not be a neccessity but might be good to do.

Finishing a basement makes a wonderful addition to the square footage of your home.

Old 12-06-02, 12:05 PM
wingnut2
Visiting Guest
tallchick-

Another reason people insulate their basement ceilings is to prevent cool air (from your air conditioning) from dropping out of you house's upper floors down into your basement.

(Who wants to pay good money to cool their basement, they usually stay pretty cool in the summer anyway).
Its a good way to keep that cool air right where you want it.

Old 12-06-02, 03:50 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating basement ceiling

Good points, wingnut2!

Generally, insulation is installed between heated and unheated areas to keep heat from excaping. Since heat rises, the upstairs heat will not be lost in the basement.

Should I insulate my basement ceiling?

A:This is a difficult question because each case is different. If the basement is conditioned then the basement ceiling does not need to be insulated, however, the ducts should still be insulated (so that they deliver their heat to the space where it is supposed to go.) In general, if the basement is unconditioned then the basement ceiling and the ducts should be insulated. One possibility is to insulate them together. Fiberglass insulation can be installed between the joist bays underneath the ducts, thus the ducts are on the "warm" side of the insulation, although they are still located in the basement. The fiberglass should be held in place by netting or insulation supports. Another option is to use what is called a BIB system - blown in cellulose insulation. A contractor will install a membrane on the bottom of the floor joists, and then will fill each joist bay with blown in cellulose

Frequently Asked Questions. Energy Performance of Buildings Group & Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory | University of California | Department of Energy

Retrieved 06 December 2002. http://ducts.lbl.gov/frequently_aske...questions.html