Tyvek Homewrap?

Old 12-05-02, 06:58 AM
Houllx
Visiting Guest
Tyvek Homewrap?

I am putting plywood over the whole exterier of my new home. The house will be 100% brick exterior. I have seen this Homewrap stuff. It does not call for any insulation like a blue board or anything. Is this homewrap my best bet? Or do I add some kind of radiant board then the homewrap? thanks for your input! Oh most of my climate is HOT I love in Houston

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-02, 08:13 AM
jmiddleton
Visiting Guest
Tyvek is an air barrier. It has no insulating value but will stop air infiltration which will make your insulation more effective. It will allow water vapor to pass through so you don't get condensation in the walls. A competitive product that provides some insulating properties as well is Mitten LevelWall. It's primarily designed for use under vinyl siding, you should check with the company to see how it will work in your application.

The following link has a writeup on both Tyvek and LevelWall:

http://www.mittenvinyl.com/canadianh...insul/main.htm

Old 12-05-02, 10:56 AM
codetoad
Visiting Guest
Living in Houston you would be best to keep as much of that heat outside as possible, and keep the cool air in.

I'm not an expert, however I would suggest that you spend the extra to use a ridge foam insulation prior to brick installation. Even with this (at least in the norther climate) we still wrap the entire house with a house wrap first, then rigid foam, then brick it up.

Make sure that you install the correct brick ties in place prior to screwing on all the ridgid foam.

Old 12-19-02, 06:42 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The gap between the plywood and brick in a veneer application is known as a drainage plane. Also, ask your mason or on the brick and masonry forum about weep holes in veneer walls. Unfortunately, we do not see them applied or at least I do not see them and I know they should be there.

In warm climates air infiltration plays a more important role than in cold climates. The reason for this is warm air condenses on cooler surfaces. During the winter if cold air infiltrated the wall it would not condense, in fact it would probably dry out the wall. This is how attic ventilation works. During the summer, if warm air infiltrated the wall, it would probably condense inside the wall. This is because the the air conditioning inside the home make the surfaces inside the walls cooler.

A house wraps is probably the best thing you could do with a brick veneer wall in your climate. Insulation does prohibit heat flow, either from the outside or inside the home. It should not undo other applications, like the drainage plane.