Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snow melting on roof

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 06:07 PM   #1  
pweber
snow melting on roof

I have a two story with cathedral ceilings on the second floor. In a recent snow, there was no snow on the roof and many other houses had snow left on it. Is this a symptom of iinsufficient insulation? I though maybe the roofs that had snow on them was because it was sticking because the roof was warm on the other houses and that maybe my roof was cool so it blew off.

Sponsored Links

OH

12-10-02, 07:41 PM   #2  
Snow melting on cathedral roof

If your neighbors have snow on their roofs and you don't, then more than likely the melted snow is due to heat loss from your home. Heat tends to rise and escape upward and outward. Thus, insulation is used to keep heat in the areas where it is needed.

12-11-02, 05:29 AM   #3  
Do all the other homes in the neighborhood have cathedrial ceilings? In my neighborhood, the snow melts much faster on the cape cods than it does for the ranches with nice, big unfinished attics.

Visiting Guest

12-12-02, 12:08 PM   #4  
Norm Abram
I agree with mrchris, cape cods do melt a lot faster, with their heated second floor living spaces.

Also, steeper roofs are less likely to have as much snow per square foot to begin with, so they will clear off faster.

12-12-02, 01:11 PM   #5  
Norm, shouldn't you be on This Old House or your own carpentry show right now?

Couldn't resist.

Visiting Guest

12-13-02, 10:49 AM   #6  
Norm Abram
I get that all the time...

Visiting Guest

12-19-02, 07:19 PM   #7  
rbisys
Greetings,

IN GENERAL cathederal ceilings will lose more heat because the rafters are a direct link between the drywall and sheathing. I bet it's hard to keep cool in the summer too.

If you want to up grade the thermal value try Koolcoat.com.

The only other way is to furr down with a single layer radiant barrier and re-drywall.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread