Insulatiing as I redo my walls??

Old 12-11-02, 07:05 AM
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
Insulatiing as I redo my walls??

I am redoing my bedroom walls. (from plaster to drywall) One of the walls and the celing are outside walls. What type of insulation do I need for this? And do I need to buy a vaper barrier or does it come on certain insulation? Is it also a good idea to insulate the inside walls? And if so what kind would help the best for blocking noise? Also how to I apply the insulation? Should I just use a staple gun?

(I have a buddy and his dad helping me because I obviously dont know what I am doing yet. I just want to make sure I have all the supplies I need because I live in a small town away from any store)

Thanks a ton!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-02, 08:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating exterior walls

If you purchase the precut batts that fit between the studs, you can staple the insulation in. The facing on the insulation is the vapor barrier that should be installed facing the interior of the heated interior of the room.

Besides the staple gun, you will probably need a tape measure, utility knife, a straight edge for making straight cuts on insulation, and a putty knife for pushing insulation around doors and windows. Measure your wall area so that when you make the trip to town that you buy enough insulation.

You can learn much more about insulation at www.doityourself.com/insulate and www.owenscorning.com.

Old 12-12-02, 12:13 PM
Norm Abram
Visiting Guest
And remember, no matter how many boxes of staples you'll buy,

it'll never be enough...

Old 12-19-02, 07:03 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

If you install FG then you will be using a 10%- efficient product. The paper covering is useless as a vapor barrier. You can also have mold and condensation problems.

Install two layers of 4 mil radiant barrier (RB) insulation. IT IS a vapor barrier and 95% effiient insulation that will not condensate or grow mold.

Thank you for considering my opinion.