Foam board insulation

Old 12-11-02, 11:41 AM
Yis
Visiting Guest
Foam board insulation

Hi
Does anyone have experience applying plaster directly on foam board insulation?
I have a concrete/plaster ceiling that I would like to insulate.
My options are
1. install a drop ceiling (ugly)
2. isulate on the roof (not a great option because of the type of roof)
3. put up studs, insulation and plasterboard (technically feasible)

4. OR I have heard that it is possible to install foam board with construction adhesive, and then apply plaster directly to this.

Has anyone tried this??? If so do I need a special type of foam board (coating )

Thanks

Last edited by twelvepole; 12-12-02 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-02, 05:09 PM
Foam board insulation

It is recommended that foam board insulation be covered with a "facer" board to avoid damage to the surface skin. The surface needs protection to maintain its thermal performance. It is recommended that the insulation not be left exposed. If in doubt, follow manufacturer's recommendations.

Old 12-12-02, 11:12 PM
Yis
Visiting Guest
As I understand it, the facer board should be plasterboard.
Can I glue the plasterboard directly to the foam board? I am not really sure that would really save time but maybe.

If not, I guess this really only leaves me the option of putting insulation on the roof, and then a new roof surface on top or dropping the ceiling and putting up a plasterboard ceiling on furing strips or studs.

Thanks for your resonse.
Yis

Old 12-13-02, 03:19 PM
Foam board insulation

Foam board insulation is commonly placed between the exterior finish (i.e., siding, brick) and the studs of exterior walls. There are concerns about fire. Foam insulation is relatively hard to ignite, but once it happens it burns rapidly and emits a dense smoke containing many toxic gases. Building codes require a fire barrier such as drywall. Some building codes may exempt certain metal-faced laminated foam products. Check with your local building inspector regarding permits, codes, and inspections.

If you have not purchased the foam board insulation, perhaps your Option #3: put up studs, insulation and plasterboard would be the better approach.

Go to www.doityourself.com/insulate on this website to learn more about the insulation and to calculate the necessary R-value for your ZIP.