snow melting on roof

Old 12-10-02, 06:07 PM
pweber
Visiting Guest
snow melting on roof

I have a two story with cathedral ceilings on the second floor. In a recent snow, there was no snow on the roof and many other houses had snow left on it. Is this a symptom of iinsufficient insulation? I though maybe the roofs that had snow on them was because it was sticking because the roof was warm on the other houses and that maybe my roof was cool so it blew off.

Old 12-10-02, 07:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Snow melting on cathedral roof

If your neighbors have snow on their roofs and you don't, then more than likely the melted snow is due to heat loss from your home. Heat tends to rise and escape upward and outward. Thus, insulation is used to keep heat in the areas where it is needed.

Old 12-11-02, 05:29 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do all the other homes in the neighborhood have cathedrial ceilings? In my neighborhood, the snow melts much faster on the cape cods than it does for the ranches with nice, big unfinished attics.

Old 12-12-02, 12:08 PM
Norm Abram
Visiting Guest
I agree with mrchris, cape cods do melt a lot faster, with their heated second floor living spaces.

Also, steeper roofs are less likely to have as much snow per square foot to begin with, so they will clear off faster.

Old 12-12-02, 01:11 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Norm, shouldn't you be on This Old House or your own carpentry show right now?

Couldn't resist.

Old 12-13-02, 10:49 AM
Norm Abram
Visiting Guest
I get that all the time...

Old 12-19-02, 07:19 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

IN GENERAL cathederal ceilings will lose more heat because the rafters are a direct link between the drywall and sheathing. I bet it's hard to keep cool in the summer too.

If you want to up grade the thermal value try Koolcoat.com.

The only other way is to furr down with a single layer radiant barrier and re-drywall.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: