basement insulation

Old 12-17-02, 06:31 PM
greg1
Visiting Guest
Question basement insulation

I'm finishing my basement and I have framed it out using metal studs which are set 6" from the exterior walls. I set the walls off this distance as our code states you can do this and not use a vapor barrier. Should I insulate the basement walls and if so, what should I use ? Should I use a vapor barrier and what thickness ? Will insulating the ceiling help as well ?
I'm looking to make the basement an entertainment area and I want it to be comfortable but I'm worried about insulation and moisture in a lower level.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-02, 06:11 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

You can use a single layer radiant barrier (RB) about 4 mil thick. Use a spray adhesive and glue to the surface of the studs, loosely, so that you can tuck it in for an air space between the drywall and RB.

With FG you can still get condensation 6" in from wall. The RB acts as a vapor barrier and insulation. It will perform better than the FG and you will not get mold or mildew.

Insulating the ceiling will not help any.

Be sure to remove FG from between the joists at the rim board and replace with RB. Check for air leaks along the top plate.

Thank you for cosidering my opinion.