Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

home theater insulation

Visiting Guest

12-19-02, 02:00 AM   #1  
bullshift
home theater insulation

I am adding a home theater/slash rec room to my basement the music & noise levels will be loud. My question is what would be the insulation for the ceiling? Currently a dropped ceiling is in place that has to come down because the bass vibrates the rails and that gets annoying when watching a movie so drywall is going up after insulation.

Sponsored Links

SC

12-19-02, 06:15 PM   #2  
You can find information on soundproofing by searching the forum for that and related topics.

Visiting Guest

12-26-02, 10:49 AM   #3  
Zathrus
There's pretty much nothing that will stop bass from going through the ceiling (or through the floor into the HT). The only things that stop bass are mass and distance.

Any kind of fiberglass insulation will cut down on the mid and high range transmission though -- unfaced fiberglass batting in the joists will do fine.

As for the ceiling - drywall is the preferred ceiling for HT's, but if you want to save some money and use the current drop ceiling (and/or need access to pipes, wires, etc. above the ceiling) then you can try buying some fiberglass batting and rolling it across the drop ceiling above the tiles. This will add weight and reduce the vibration of the ceiling... plus it doesn't hurt for noise transmission!

Search this Thread