Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adding insulation??

Visiting Guest

12-20-02, 07:42 PM   #1  
grausch
Adding insulation??

I have (2 inch thick batts) Balsa wool insulation stapled along my attic trusses (there is air space below the balsa wool batts). There is about 4 inches of blowen insulation over that. I need to add more and I'm concerned that the basla wool batts are tearing and not providing a good vapor barrier. I have no moisture problems right now. Should I remove the Balsa wool and lay faced Fg and then put the old stuff back on top? What is the best method considering all the old insulation already up there?

The house is 1.5 story, brick, built 1939

Sponsored Links

NC

12-22-02, 06:12 AM   #2  
Add more unfaced batts of insulation over what is there.
Good Luck!
Mike

Visiting Guest

12-24-02, 05:35 PM   #3  
grausch
Is adding unfaced FG superior over adding more blowen?

I live in Michigan

Thanks

OH

01-01-03, 11:00 PM   #4  
Adding insulation

Go to www.doityourself.com/insulate for information about insulation. You can calculate the necessary R-value for your ZIP.

Visiting Guest

01-03-03, 02:59 PM   #5  
rbisys
Geetings,

Adding more FG or similar will give you minimum results. You can install a two layer radiant barrier over the existing and you will not have to worry about a VB.

Check koolcoat.com (866 290 1010) about a insulating paint addiitve and paint ht einside of the exterior walls. You can make this an energy efficient house.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread