New Home Insulation under Brick?

Old 12-27-02, 12:41 AM
Houllx
Visiting Guest
New Home Insulation under Brick?

Building a new Home in Houston. I am decking the exterior with OSB. The guy doing the work recommends OSB , A Homewrap then the brick. They lumber supplier recommends the OSB then 1/2 inch Dow Styrofoam then brick. What are you guys recommending? We get very hot and Humid here in the summer time. I plan on ordering Tomorrow in the afternoon thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-02, 06:34 AM
Go with the guy who is doing the work, that is the house wrap and then the brick, without the board insulation. The reason for it is the brick ties have to be secure to a solid surface. Though he could install the board insulation and pierce the insulation through it, this is time consuming and he is going to be guessing where the courses are going to be. You want the ties to be perpendicular to the OSB and if he is forced to angle it, it could eventually weaken the brick veneer wall. The air gap left between the structure and the brick is known as a drainage plane and it is there for a reason. You may want to ask your mason about weep holes at the bottom of the wall, the purpose and the acceptable method of application in your area.

Old 12-27-02, 08:14 PM
nfg
Visiting Guest
insulation under brick

Houllx. i live in central ga. our climate is also hot/humid. i would also recomend the addition of the insulation, but with a foil facing providing that the cavity behind the brick is not filled up. for the foil to be effective as a radiant heat barrier it must have a 3/4 of an inch air space in front of it. in the late evening this foil will help prevent the heat built up in the bricks from being transferred to your studs/framing/interior.

Old 12-30-02, 09:14 AM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

I'm a radiant barrier (RB) insulator of about 29 years. Here's how you do it.

Best way. Install 3/8" x 1 1/2" wide osb strips over stud line. Install PERFORATED type 2 ( single sheet double sided foil, about 4 mil thk) to furring strips. Brick man may have to come out that 3/8", no problem. 3/4" air space not required.

OR, staple RB to sheathing and go as usual. You will have to mark stud line for tiein straps.

Remind brick layer to be careful about excess falling behind brick.
If you have a pro there will be no problems.

I have a 4 page instruction, drawing and sample for whole house RB system if you want the best.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Old 01-11-03, 09:10 PM
Houllx
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys for all your help. After talking to many builders. and suppliers. I went ahead and just installed the Tyvek House wrap over the OSB board. Next will be the bricks. Thanks for all your time and suggestions... Luis