Roof insulation

Old 01-12-03, 03:24 AM
morri_g
Visiting Guest
Roof insulation

Firstly...apoligies.....I'm a DIY dummy!

So, 1930's house with small(ish) pitched roof kitchen extension.

The kitchen ceiling consists of pine cladding attached directly to the underside of the joists, hence there is cold air constantly passing into the kitchen through the gaps in the pine cladding.....very cold in Winter.

On inspection of roof space there is...

No insulation between rafters
Fibreglass insulation betwen joists
Eaves uninsulated

i.e. standard stuff, but the temperature up there is very low and airflow enough to fly a small kite.

The crux....

What are my (inexpensive) options to eliminate/reduce the cold air entering the kitchen?

Presumably....another layer of insulation o top of exisiting will not resolve.

Is applying a layer over the joists, rather than between them, an option?

Whate else?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-03, 09:23 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulation

In unfinished attic spaces, insulation is placed between and over the floor joists to seal off living spaces below and to keep the heat in heated areas where you want it to stay warm. Unfinished attic spaces will be cold this time of year and should be well ventilated to allow moisture to escape. Moisture and humidity are major attic issues in winter, thus the need for the ventilation.

Go to www.doityourself.com/insulate on this website for an excellent tutorial and to calculate the R-value for your ZIP to determine your insulation needs.

Old 01-14-03, 03:07 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Radiant barrier insulation would be great for your needs. It also acts as an air barrier. But, you will have to control the EXCESSIVE flow. I would need a drawing of the structure. Do you have a crawl space?