Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Will insulation make a difference?

01-13-03, 10:13 AM   #1  
Will insulation make a difference?

I have a large two-car garage with an attic-type area above. It is not heated, but is attached on one side to the main house.

Up here in Boston, it can obviously get quite cold. Will adding insulation in the floor above and on the walls (and then covering with sheetrock) make any difference?

I'm not concered about pay-back in terms of energy savings as the garage is and will reman unheated. I just want a place that is warm enough that I can use it in the winter without freezing my @#$% off.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-13-03, 11:55 AM   #2  
rbisys
Greetings,

If you use the right type it will definitly be of help.

I would recommend radiant barrir (RB) insulation. It is about 95% eff. compared to less than 10% for FG. Because temperatures are not steady in garages, the temp fluctuations can cause serious condensation problems with FG. You do not have this problem with RB.

You can eliminate the drywall if you use a bubble foil that is foil one side white plastic other. You will want to install a single THIN sheet RB IN the wall and ceil'g before the bubble foil on thr wood surface. The response to heat added to the garage is immediate and I believe you will be more than pleased with the results.

You can also install two thin sheets RB in ceiling and wall and then drywall.

If you have trouble finding material, let me know.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

NE

01-15-03, 08:31 AM   #3  
Does anyone else have any opinions on this? I'm considering doing this myself.

01-15-03, 01:31 PM   #4  
I think the readers have figured it out, but just to be sure, I meant the garage itself, and not the attic space.

That said, the garage has a plastered ceiling and, of course, 2x4 studs around the perimeter. Assuming I were to go the RB route (after I figure out what it is), how does it get installed? Does it fit in between the studs just like fiberglas batts? What about insulating the ceiling or attic floor?

Is there a website to learn about this?

And, asking for Shanek as well, it a foregone conclusion that the traditional pink fiberglas stuff won't make an iota of difference?

What about a combination of fiberglas batts and poly on top before putting of the sheetrock? While I would have issues with using poly in a basement because of moisture/mold risks, my guess is that it is a non-factor in a garage???

MO

01-17-03, 04:51 PM   #5  
insulation

There is a R13 FG that they call friction fit put it in the 2x4 wall studs ,cover with a 2 mil poly and dry wall. The ceiling I would put a R-19 FG with the paper side down. Code here calls for a 5/8 dry wall for fire in the grage. As far as that RB find out why some of the power company dont like it at all . The GOV said that after it get dust on it it isnt as good as they say.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 03:17 PM   #6  
rbisys
Greetings

Been out of town for a while.

The reason utility companies don't like RB is because the home owner uses up to 50% or more LESS energy.

Just checked the Jan gas bill for a 3000 sf auto garage with 12 ft ceilings and 6 large overhead doors. Has insulated 6" floors with radiant heat. 2 layer RB walls and 3 layers ceiling. At about 97 cents per therm the Jan bill was $89.00 including taxes.

The maximum decrease in reflectivity for RB with dust on top is about 20% for the top surface. The foil facing down is unaffected. The reduction in performance is unoticable in fuel usage. The RB with dust is still about 10 times more efficient than FG. Sorry ED.

The paper on FG is useless and has an extremely high fire rating because of the pitch used as glue. It shouldn't even be on the market.

Some one asked why I used opinions instead of facts.... because I don't want a law suit. Great country we have here.

I have a standing offer that anyone who can provide summer/winter installed test results from a government approved lab showing that FG gets it's advertised "R" factors. I will insulated their next job free of charge regardles of size, comm or residential. Want to try for the prize? E-mail me for complete details.

02-09-03, 08:15 PM   #7  
http://www.ornl.gov/roofs+walls/radiant/index.html

Just FYI if anyone wants to read....

Visiting Guest

02-10-03, 07:55 AM   #8  
rbisys
Greetings,

Ref your government web site.
I contacted DOE about installed summer/winter tests showing actual insulation performance for FG. Guess what? They don't have any. The reason the US Senate has stepped in a least twice to protect mineral wool products from going off the market is because the consumer uses up to 2-3 times more energy. Energy they tax. Maybe that's the reason they don't tell you about SKYTHERM the heating/cooling system that cost about $1.00/year to operate.

You want to belive a fascists government/industry, go ahead, it's your money, your health and your freedom.

By the way, did you seach for, FG cancer, FG litigation, FG mold, etc? Bet you didn't.

MO

02-10-03, 12:21 PM   #9  
OH man

You know Rbisys why dont you crawl back in the hole where you came from.
That garage you talk about thats to high a bill for heat with gas. You know they keep it about 55 - 60 only when they where there working and push it down when they go home at night.

I asked you to match a home for a year 4500sq ft you dont

Its like my old papa used tho say

If you cant dazzle them with brillance you have to baffle them with BULL SH____T

Is that where you are comeing from? Now you say we have a Fascist government. Just cause they say your RB dont last or work as good as FG.Why did the FG people stop useing a aluminum foil years ago cause the RB there didnt work .
I guess the power company there is also Fascist cause they dont like you RB
I like and use FG but also like cellulose better with a 2 mil poly.
OH and it wont burn at all. ED

Visiting Guest

02-10-03, 08:46 PM   #10  
rbisys
Greetings,

I thank you for your professionalism in your answer to me.

I find it interesting that you know what other people are doing even though you aren't there.

People are always asking me for proof thru bills and at one time I collected them, at time and expense, only to find out people ignore them and do as they believe(misbelive). Your response to my garage data reveals that you would justify degrading anything I would provide you. You already know everything there is to know about something you know nothing about, and God help any one who tries to tell you different. You are a perfect example of what is wrong in the construction business. But, you are intitled to your beliefs.

Aluminum doesn't burn either. Condensation can cause the chemicals in cellulose to leach out thereby making it subject to fire. I know because I've pulled samples over the years and set a match to them.

You don't need insulation to figure out what's going on in this country. Just watch the news and read the papers, but then, if you ignore it you don't have to feel responsible to do anything about it, do you.

Visiting Guest

02-11-03, 07:36 AM   #11  
Brewbeer
hey rbisys,

does your line of employment have anything to do with the sale of this stuff?

Search this Thread