Finished Attic (Issues)

Old 01-21-03, 10:25 AM
MAMH
Visiting Guest
Finished Attic (Issues)

I have story and a half house that is about 50 years old that I moved into last summer. The attic space is finished. I found out this winter that the ceiling in the attic is not insulated and when I redecorated the attic we had removed the old wall paper which must have worked as a vapor barrier as i'm also having condensation problems. The condesataion problem has been bad lately because of the recent cold spell.

I wondering what would be the best solution to insulate the ceiling? Currently the kneewalls are insulated. The sloped ceilings and top are not. The only access to the attic space is in the crawl space on the other side of the kneewall. There is a 4 inch cavity between the drywall and roof.

I was told by some to spray in the insultation to fill all the cavities in the ceiling and use special sealant paint on the walls. I'm concerned that this way would stop the air flow and cause more damage.

I'm thinking of replacing all the drywall and filling in the cavities wtih insulation bat and place plastic (poly)vapor barrier over the insulation and then put up the new drywall up. Will Insulation bat (pink) allow enough air to flow through the joists?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-03, 11:33 AM
Before the experts chime in, a few follow up questions.

I've been through some of this myself with a 1.5 story house. A few questions to help flesh out your situation:

1) Do you have soffit vents, ridge vents, roof vents, gable vents, turbines, power attic fans, or any combination thereof?
2) Does the underside of the roof sheathing appear dark or moldy?
3) How hot does it get up there in the summertime with no insulation?
4) Does the ductwork run to the attic space? Is there a return?

If you have some sort of roof ventilation above the "sloped ceiling," then you'll need baffles installed in that 4" airspace to ensure the insulation does not block airflow. FG insulation does allow for some airflow, but I'm not sure it's sufficient for adequate attic ventilation.

Paint can serve as an effective vapor barrier.

Old 01-21-03, 01:11 PM
MAMH
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response.

1)There are soffit vents, 2 roof vents above the slope and 1 gable vent.
2)The underside of the roof looks good from what I can see. I don't see any mold or rot. There seems to be good air flow from the soffit vents to the roof vent.
3)It was very hot on sunny summer day.
4)There is only one vent for the whole attic. and one return vent.

Would FG insulation with baffles in place be sufficient for attic ventilation?