Cotton Insulation

Old 01-22-03, 07:22 PM
jacksonbva
Visiting Guest
Cotton Insulation

I recently came across some information on insulation made from recycled (actually leftover) denim scraps that are separated into fibers, treated with borate, and turned into batting.

Anyone have any experience with this?

My concerns are a) moisture, b) degradation of R value over time, and c) insects.

Obvious advantage is it is much more user friendly than FG.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-03, 08:52 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not familar with this type of insulation but am familar with the processes concerning insulation. For example, borate and other chemicals are used with cellulose to make it flame retardent, insect, odor, moisture and fungus resistant. The same is probably done in this type of insulation. These chemical are widely used and are found in most soap or detergent products. R-values are a representive expression and are the same for any type of insulation. All insulation loses some R-value over time. In most cases, if not all, this diminishing R-value is negligible, especially when it comes to batt type of insulation.

Old 02-07-03, 08:26 AM
mr. efficiency
Visiting Guest
this would be considered as junk insulation and your looking at only R-2/inch i suggest for best results a blown cellulose which is about R-3.6/inch

Old 02-07-03, 10:32 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Like the others, I have no experience with cotton primarily because I'm a DIY'er and have only recently researched insulation myself. But, the information that I have in front of me uses the term "comparable" as it applies to R-value versus cellulose or fiberglass and quick calcs using the numbers available from the manufacturers places the R-value between 3.1 and 3.7, per inch. According to my information, though cotton is more expensive than the alternatives it is also more environmentally-friendly, uses fewer chemicals, not itchy and provides better sound absorption.

The following are the two major manufacturers/recyclers;

http://www.bondedlogic.com/
http://www.innotherm.com/

Note: I hadn't replied to your post before because I don't have direct knowledge of the products; I only have what I assume is the same information as you. Because of the use of the term "junk," I decided to post the links so you might better be able to research the subject yourself and possibly obtain more reasoned analysis.

Last edited by twelvepole; 02-07-03 at 07:25 PM.