Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ventalation in attic

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 09:27 AM   #1  
pathibo
ventalation in attic

My attic is sweating. I have learned that the insulation is blocking the sofits. I plan to add rafter baffles to allow air to flow up to the ridgevent. DO I BLOCK THE ROOF VENTS ON THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE? I'm not sure how this air flow thing works.

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-24-03, 12:01 PM   #2  
Attic vents are there for the winter. Keep them open and clear.

You should vent this area. Free venting is when cold air from outside enters the attic and warm air that manages to get through your insulation goes out. It does 2 things for you in the winter. One is that it keeps the roof cold so ice does not form on the roof. The other is to avoid the moisture you are experiencing on the underside of your roof.

If you are getting moisture in the attic because of inadequate free venting, it is heat from the home that is causing the moisture. It will be that same heat that will cause ice to form on your roof, especially ice damming. This occurs when there is snow on your roof and the heat in the attic melts the snow from underneath the snow. As the melted snow moves away from the area where the heat is coming from to an area where it is cooler, like the roof overhangs, eaves or gutters, the melted snow freezes and creates a dam. A telltale sign of the probability of ice damming is moisture on the underside of roofs.

Search this Thread