Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating a Basement Room

MA

01-27-03, 01:24 PM   #1  
Insulating a Basement Room

Hi, All -

I am building a TV room in my basement, and it has one exterior wall (that is, framing along the foundation wall), and three interior walls (not along a foundation wall), all 2X4 construction. The ceiling joists are 2 X 8, and are currently exposed. Above the ceiling is the kitchen. I want to insulate this basement room both thermally and acoustically without breaking the bank. Someone suggested putting R-13 fiberglass insulation up into the joist cavities (touching the underside of the above floor), and then putting rigid foam panels between the joists, level with the bottom of the joists. Will this do what I want?

Another suggestion was simply putting R-30 insulation up in the joist cavities, and then 1/2" drywall. Would that take care of the sound?

Thanks,

DB

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-27-03, 09:37 PM   #2  
Either one will certainly reduce the amount of sound transmittion. However the majority of sound transmittion through solid materials is done through vibration. One way of reducing the amount of vibration in a ceiling is to install metal sheet rock hanger 16 inches on center perpendicular to the ceiling joist and attaching the sheet rock to the hangers. The hanger are attached to the joist securely but not firmly. This allows the sheet rock to absorb the vibration either from the sounds in the kitchen or family room.

MA

01-29-03, 06:25 AM   #3  
Thanks

Thanks for the response. I've heard of something called "resilient furring strips" which are on the idea of what you have suggested. However, I can't find a dealer for these things. Any suggestions?

Dave

NJ

01-29-03, 07:25 AM   #4  
Search the web for accoustical sound systems, you'll find manufacturers there. If it is that difficult, then you can use 1 x 2 inch wood furring slats perpendicular to the ceiling joists. In my opinion, they work just as well.

Search this Thread