insulation

Old 02-03-03, 06:34 PM
bridor
Visiting Guest
insulation

bought house 28 yrs old,I guess it has 2x4 constuction,can anyone give an opinion on best way to increase r value from the outside,which is aluminum siding,its a bungalow,I have seen some place,s that say to use styrofoam over existing siding,and then to install new siding over the top of that,it doe'st seem a good idea to me,any opinions would be interesting to me,thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 08:15 PM
LAW of DIMINISHING RETURNS

The amount of savings would not justify the costs of doing so, especially if you already have insulation in the walls. You are better off investing the money in windows or doors. Even then, the payback would not be that great, but a lot bigger than adding more insulation to the walls.

Old 02-04-03, 03:47 PM
bridor
Visiting Guest
thanks for the info reserconI shall be checking out the costs of geo heatpumps,my first thought is the cost,but the property does have a well,so that might help.

Old 02-04-03, 03:51 PM
bridor
Visiting Guest
Thanks resercon could be you saved me a lot of work not to mention money' guess Ill look for lower cost ways to tighten the house up.

Old 02-07-03, 08:18 AM
mr. efficiency
Visiting Guest
your best bet since you live in canada is to have an energuide evaluation done on your home it will cost you any where from 50 - 200 dollars and you will get a complete report done on air leakage and tightness of your home, here is the website so you can find the delivery agent near you.

http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/houses

I hope this can save you some money and heead aches

Old 02-07-03, 08:57 AM
HEAT PUMP

Just haveing a well there wont help you much in terms of a geothermal heat pump. The cost return for them is not good yet. Go look at www.warmair.net and get a fuel comparison cost ED

Old 02-07-03, 07:10 PM
bridor
Visiting Guest
thanks to mr efficiency and ed imenduc

thank you your information,have been to the websites,very interesting,have sent for some free books! at one of the sites.

Old 02-10-03, 09:08 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

If you have a good alum siding job, that will act as insulation.
Alum has low emissivity and high reflectivity. If for some reason you want to replace it, then install steel siding, not plastic. Attach 1/2" x 1 1/2" wide strips over the studs and then a 4 mil radiant barrier material. That will more than doubl;e the insulkation value of the wall. It will also help prevent condensation in the FG as it will allow the FG to have a higher temperature. You might also want to install aRB over the attic insulation too.

Also check Koolcat.com for insulating paint additves. You can paint the interior side of the exterior wall and get good results that way too. They are having computer problems so try 866 290 1010. mt

If you install windows, don't use plastic windows. Get a good wood window with alum exterior and lo-e. Be sure to foam the gaps when installing. DON'T USE FG. Ck the hurd window products.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Old 02-11-03, 04:44 PM
bridor
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your post rbisys,the siding is in good shape,so I dont really want to replace it,just want to save on heating bills,I will have to look into this RB, how about if it is installed inside the basement walls,which are not properly insulated,I want to save on cost of materials and heating!!

Old 02-11-03, 06:12 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

If the walls are flat top to bottom I attach 1x2s with adhesive and 3 tap con screws. Staple a 4 mil RB to the surface. If you experiment you'll see that you can divide the space. Drywall. Cap the bottom of drywall with a plastic "J" channel to help prevent mold.

If you have to furr out just staple the RB to the surface and tuck in to make airspace between RB and drywall.

Be sure to seal and cracks and holes in joist at rim board. Install a RB between the joists at the rim board. If FG present remove it it's probably moldy and worth less.

You can find the 4 mill on the web. If not let me know.

Thanks for considering my opinion.